Thursday, November 17, 2005

Great Wall of China


Photoshop altered image of a photo I took of the Great Wall north of Beijing, which I had the pleasure of seeing last September. Incredible!

This version was built by the Ming Dynasty to keep out northern "barbarian" tribes of nomadic horsemen.

The Ming fell to one of these groups, the Manchus, in 1644. Did the wall fail? Not exactly. Disgruntled Ming generals, hoping to overthrow the dynasty, enlisted the aid of Manchurian horsemen, and opened the gates. But the Manchus proved stronger than these generals expected.

The Manchus conquered China and ruled it as the Ching Dynasty until the early 20th century.

This was also my initial choice for Illustration Friday: Strength.

2 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Blogger Raymond's Brain said...

I like your Great Wall image. It seems so peaceful. It was mayhem when I was on the Great Wall a few weeks ago with my newly adopted daughter!
Thanks for your encouragement on my blog (Howdy Doodling).
Cheers,
Raymond

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger LDahl said...

The original image was very well composed and I like what you have done in PS. It looks like a painting with the strong shapes and large masses. This is really beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home